Tucan Travel Overland Vehicles
1) Comfortable, forward-facing coach seats with safety belts and generous leg-room
2) Powerful engines and long-range fuel tanks for quicker journey times, and spare parts and maintenance equipment to keep you on the move
3)Through-access to the driver's compartment
4) Plenty of headroom to walk comfortably in the cabin, and large overhead luggage racks to store your day-packs
5) Large external compartments to store your rucksacks and camping gear
6) Power sockets to charge your electrical devices
Custom-built Mercedes Benz expedition vehicles in Africa and South America
We proudly own, operate and maintain all of our expedition vehicles ourselves. Our powerful, modern fleet of Mercedes Benz vehicles have been specifically designed and engineered to deal with challenging terrain so that they can take mountains, deserts and even rivers in their stride. Adhering to tough European safety standards, Tucan Travel overland trucks are custom-built by specialists and are designed to provide maximum safety and comfort.
Powerful engines mean that our overland trucks can travel comfortably at cruising speeds, so you spend less time in the truck and more time exploring your destination. Fewer driving hours and modern, well-maintained engines also means lower carbon emissions, making our overland trucks more environmentally friendly. No matter where we are travelling – from the high Andes to the plains of Africa or the windswept expanse of Patagonia, you will be secure and relaxed in our spacious vehicles.
Mechanical support for our Overland trucks
Our Tucan Travel overland drivers are required to have sound mechanical knowledge and they ensure the vehicles are kept in excellent running order during your overland tour. We carry spare parts and maintenance equipment on every vehicle and drivers are supported by dedicated operations and maintenance departments in both Africa and South America. In the unlikely event we need to send for replacement parts, standby transport is usually available.
Overland Vehicles – why quality and experience matter
South American and African overland terrain offers everything including tar seal, dirt, shingle, mud and riverbeds, which is why we hire the best drivers with the experience to be able to handle such varied conditions. We are careful to select experienced, qualified drivers, usually with previous overland travel experience in Africa or South America. Our drivers are comfortable behind the wheel of our powerful and versatile expedition vehicles, and are used to dealing with the unique road conditions on our overland tours. They can easily cope with any hazards and obstacles to ensure a safe, stress-free journey.
Our Family of Overland Vehicles
We say family because these trucks are our babies! We take good care of them and look upon them with affection. For that reason, each overland truck is named after someone special within the company or in their immediate family. In South America we have trucks called Tom and Jack, after owner Matt Gannan's two boys. In Africa, we have Ben, named after founder Pip Tyler's grandson. Peeky, Moose and Sail were named after beloved drivers. Tour groups often name themselves after their vehicles and can become quite attached to the 'big yellow trucks' – some even devote Facebook profiles to their beloved Tucan Travel overland vehicle!
Climb aboard our custom-built overland expedition vehicle!
Our trucks vary slightly according to the destination, year and model. You will usually find most of the following features on our overland trucks for your safety and comfort:
- Spacious interior with large panoramic, tinted and sliding windows with curtains
- Stereo system with PA which the tour leader will use to keep you informed
- Card / writing tables
- A safe for personal documents
- A refrigerator
- A passenger library including guide books and novels for use while on board
- Carpeted interiors
Exterior storage and equipment
- High quality camping equipment including tents, stools, tables, outside lights and cooking tent. (You will need to bring your own sleeping bag & mat).
- High quality cooking equipment including gas stoves, BBQ plates, pots and pans, dining plates and utensils
- 500 litre water tank and storage for bulk food supplies
- Many vehicles feature full air suspension to smooth out the varied terrain